Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Rainy Days and Croissants


It's been a while since I've given an update of highlights, one of these days I will figure out a schedule to update this blog, until then I'll just keep surprising everyone- and myself!

1. It's finally turning into Fall here. The weather is cooling down, which us native South Dakotans are very happy about. Firstly because we just love cooler weather, and secondly even though we spent a year in Texas, our wardrobe still doesn't support a perpetual summer climate. We're very excited for sweater season, considering our closets consist mostly of sweaters in the first place. So, in order to cool down the climate, Kentucky has been rainy or on the verge of rainy for a good majority of the last week or two. Last Wednesday Zach and a student were out on campus doing some evangelization when it began to downpour. Needless to say, he wasn't prepared.


2. Flannery is growing! I've been pulling out bigger outfits from storage for her as the days go by and I finally decided to bite the bullet and put away the first wave of newborn clothes. It was kind of sad, but also kind of fun, because it turned into a little fashion show. I was trying all sorts of things on Flannery to see if she fit into them. Some things are now too small, but others now finally fit, like these adorable little baby leg warmers and knit hat. She's also learned how to stick out her tongue in the last week or so, and can't seem to get enough of it. It seems like every picture I take of her she sticks out her tongue. She's come a long way in mobility too, but hasn't mastered the actual act of crawling. It doesn't seem to stop her though, she has found some creative ways to get from point a to point b pretty quickly.


3. Every Wednesday night we have what's called an Upper Room. We gather students together for a time of formation. In the past we have casted vision for FOCUS, talked about giving gospel presentations, and informed them of different tools FOCUS provides to grow as a disciple of Jesus and help others do the same. This last Wednesday the topic was prayer. I was very honored to be the one to give the talk about how to introduce daily prayer into our lives. It gave me a chance to recall my first few weeks and months when I really decided to become serious about my faith and prayer life. The summer after my freshman year of college I became very disciplined in praying a Holy Hour, as was encouraged by the Missionaries at SDSU. It changed my life!! I was so excited to be able to teach the students of Murray State about this great opportunity they have and how The Lord is calling them deeper. I spent quite a bit of time describing the methods of Lectio Divina, Ignation Meditation, and Mental Prayer. We also challenged the students to take on the 30 day Prayer Dare. If you're looking for a way to help kickstart your prayer life, this is a great tool!


4. It was my turn to host hobby night! Every Monday night we have team time, one of the four of us is in charge of dinner and coming up with a hobby of theirs to share with the team. My favorite hobby is baking of course, so this week I decided to cross croissants of my baking bucket list! They were so fun, and delicious! The team had a lot of fun baking them too.


5. This week I also wrote an article for our FOCUS Wives publication. Every quarter our Family Liaison, Lisa Cotter, compiles a newsletter to send to all the wives of FOCUS. I finally decided to volunteer to write the side article, and I'm so glad I did- I had so much fun doing it! I wrote about an Advent tradition so, I'll post that article here when it gets a little closer.





No comments:

Post a Comment