Friday, December 20, 2013

What Do You Do on a Daily Basis?

First off, it's been a long time since we last posted.  Our bad.  Crazy semester with an interview weekend, a push for our Student Leadership Summit in Dallas in January, closing up the semester and sending the students home, travel back to the tundra (South Dakota), an awesome reception for a our mission partners (thank you so much to whoever was able to make it), catching up with the family, making tons of candy and Christmas letters... Well, you get the picture, but we're back now and committed to keeping this blog up again.

I always get asked the question:  what do you do on a daily basis as a missionary?  I think any missionary on any campus would agree that it's safe to say that that is quite a complicated question.  Every day looks different.  As much as we put together a schedule, things change, the Holy Spirit blows us off track, students have a crisis or water comes pouring out of the wall, flooding the bathroom and half the hallway.  It's crazy.  But I'll give it a try by posting what a typical week looked like on campus this semester.


MONDAY (Meeting Monday as I put it)

7:00am- Time to wake the family up, shower, get ready myself and then get the Flan all prepared
8:00am- Daily mass time
8:30am- Daily check in with the team
9:00am- I have a conference call with our regional director Dwight while the rest of the team does our daily holy hour together
10:00am- Weekly meeting with our chaplain Fr. Jason and our campus minister Allie Loomis
11:30am- Time for my holy hour
1:00pm- My weekly one-on-one meeting with our veteran missionary Megan Ference where we goal set, talk about her ministry and special projects and make sure she's mentally and spiritually healthy to attack this week
2:00pm- I try to throw some lunch down and text/call/e-mail people to set up my week of appointments, commitments, calls, etc.
3:00pm- I then have my weekly one-on-one with our first year missionary Sarah Vielma
4:00pm- Hang out with the students in the Newman
4:30pm- Some students set up a weekly rosary in the chapel, so we participate in that with them
5:15pm- Head home, check on the family and cook dinner/prepare for our team night (if it's my week)
7:00pm- Each week we get together as a team and one of us cooks the others dinner and then comes up with a hobby/activity to do together so we have time to bond as a team and as friends without talking mission stuff
11:00pm/12:00am- Time to say our night prayer and head to sleep


I'll keep posting days in the next few days.  This post would be way too long if I kept going.  Stay tuned for Tuesday and Wednesday tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment