Thursday, March 27, 2014

Meghan, What do you do?


I get this question a lot as well. And basically put, I'm a stay-at-home mom who radically lives out the New Evangelization. Yeah, it's possible! Technically, I'm an 'Affiliate Missionary' and we're a Missionary Family (once your husband is full-time, everyone is along for the ride). I lead bible studies and have a few girls who are in discipleship with me, but I don't think my life would look much different if we weren't in FOCUS. I would still strive to live a life of incarnational evangelization, spiritual multiplication and discipleship.
I'm sure people look at the daily schedule Zach posts and sees that he's not home until 10:00 pm some nights and leaves way before Flannery and I are even awake and wonder how we can survive as a married couple and a family on that kind of schedule. It gets hard sometimes- those days when I'm home with Flannery and I can't get dumb children's songs out of my head because its all I've listened to do make me a little crazy. However, I believe in the Great Commission and the New Evangelization and I would do anything to fulfill it! Yes, as a college student I had great dreams of bare handing the world and inspiring young women by leading bible studies on the college campus and spending countless hours with them growing in virtue together. But as a mother- its just not possible to do those kinds of things. It is possible for Zach though. He works really hard everyday to live out this mission.
The truth of the matter is this: Some go by giving, some give by going. Some wives and mothers fulfill the New Evangelization best by holding down the fort, staying out of our husbands hair, and sacrificing a little bit of hardship. 
And with a little one at home, every month seems like a different hardship is on the forefront. Flannery used to just lay around and sleep a lot so that made being on campus a lot easier when I could just push her in her stroller to the student center to go bare handing while she napped. Now that she's way more mobile and loves putting foreign objects in her mouth our baby proofed house is the best environment for her. It gets hard for me to look back at the year and see how my involvement seems to have declined a lot. But, that doesn't mean Zach's has to and I have found that its my role (even more so than active campus participation) to do whatever I can to support Zach's ministry and make him successful. So, if that means he needs to be out late at night with his guys then my best place is staying at home and being out of his way! I never would have thought that for me the best way to live the Great Commission of "Go therefore and make disciples" would be to stay at home with Flannery so that Zach can be as effective as possible with the gifts the Lord has given him. But it is, at least for now. I just ask that you all continue to pray for Zach and I that we can continue to find balance in our lives and courage to live out evangelization when God's providence allows it!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment